Commercial roofing services have evolved for decades and the need for commercial roofing is on the upswing. Commercial roofing is different than residential roofing – there’s a lot more to consider. It requires an understanding of applications and systems that are specific to commercial buildings and don’t necessarily apply to residential roofing. For instance, unlike the commonly used materials for residential roofing, commercial roofing may consist of polyurethane foam and modified bitumen, among many other materials. The complexities of commercial roofing often results in a longer installation process and a different way of resolving any issues that may arise later, such as leaks. The availability of quality commercial roofing services Denver CO is wide-ranging and the type of roofing systems available is extensive.
What You Should Consider When Selecting A Roofing System
Building Use: The purpose for which a building will be used is an important consideration. Chief among these considerations is whether the building will be occupied. A building used for storage and a building used for retail have different priorities. For instance, a building that serves as a warehouse doesn’t necessarily require the same focus on the environment inside the facility as a populated office building.
Building Location: For starters, the location of the building matters. Selection of a roofing system requires thoughtful consideration and a clear understanding of different geographical issues. If the building is located in a region where heavy snow is prevalent, then the best choice will be different than if it were located where temperatures rise significantly. As always, there’s also the critical importance of understanding and complying with building codes.
Sustainability: Increasingly important considerations are whether a building requires LEED® certification and whether materials can be replaced when the warranty ends. There’s also the issue of recycling when the roof needs to be replaced. When assessing the matter of sustainability beyond any requirements that exist, often the issue of cost plays a significant role in the decision-making process.
Common Types of Commercial Roofing Systems
- TPO Roofing Systems: This system is best for most commercial, institutional and industrial applications because they’re sturdy. They also happen to be resistant to wind and fire. There are different types of TPO Roofing Systems, such as ballasted, vented and fully adhered.
- Tapered Insulation Systems: Designed to mitigate issues with standing water, the Tapered Insulation System resolves the issue of a roof deck not having an adequate slope. There are different types that include Tapered EPS, Perlite and Tapered Polyiso.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems: Offering cold applied APP, torch applied APP and hot asphalt SBS options, Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems are strong in part because of the glass-reinforced polyester mat. They combine fatigue resistant properties and elongation.
- Single-Ply Roofing Systems: With Ballasted EPDM and Mechanically Attached EPDM, Single-Ply Roofing is often used for new and re-roof applications. They are of high quality, resistant to wind uplift and great for harsh weather conditions.
- Built-Up Roofing Systems: This option includes three and four-ply smooth built-up, as well as four-ply gravel surface built-up. It leverages several layers of roofing bonded together with hot bitumen.